Terms and conditions
Competition Terms & Conditions
Café Registration and Participation
i. The competition
- This competition ("Competition") is conducted by Image Centre Limited of 19 Lyon Ave, St Lukes, Auckland, New Zealand (the "Promoter").
- The Competition will be conducted in the following regions; Upper North Island, Auckland, Lower North Island, Wellington, Christchurch and the South Island ("Regions") See www.nzcafeoftheyear.co.nz for full detail of competition region areas.
- Competition registration opens at midday on Friday 5 August 2016 and ends at midnight on Friday 16 September 2016 ("Entry Period").
- The competition categories are: Tararua Best Metro/CBD, Hellmann's Best Suburban, Tuckers Ridge Pies Best Rural and Hellers Classic Kiwi. There is also the Puhoi Valley People’s Choice category which is established by public vote and a special Goodman Fielder & Unilever Food Solutions Award for Innovation
ii. Eligible café entries
1. The Competition is only open to Eligible Entrants. An "Eligible Entrant" is: (i) an individual, or (ii) any other legal entity (including a corporation, partnership or trustee), who or which:
- Carries on business in a Region in New Zealand as a café and, if an individual:
- Is not an employee of the Promoter or of any of its related corporations or agencies associated with the Competition.
2. A Café is any business that primarily serves home-made cabinet food as a staple offering in addition to any menu items and serves tea and coffee. A high proportion of food should be made on the premise. A Café can be a licensed premise. A Café can be open in the evenings but daytime (breakfast and lunch) service should be a priority.
3. An Eligible Entrant must be the entity or individual responsible for operating the Café or a nominated representative of the Café.
4. If entering on behalf of the owner/owners you must have permission from the owner before entering the application form.
iii. Competition entry
1. Entry to the Competition constitutes acceptance of the competition structure (see point a above)
2. There is no entry fee for cafes to enter the competition.
3. The Competition is only open to Eligible Entrants (see b Eligible café entries above)
4. To submit an entry, an Eligible Entrant must, during the Entry Period, visit www.nzcaféoftheyear.co.nz and complete all requested details, including:
- Café name
- Details of the person who is to be the contact for the purposes of the competition (including their telephone number and email address).
- The address of the café
- Select which category the café is to be entered into, from the 4 categories provided: Tararua Best Metro/CBD, Hellmann's Best Suburban, Tuckers Ridge Pies Best Rural or Hellers Classic Kiwi.
- To write a qualifying statement about the café. What makes it special?
5. At the time of submitting their entry, each Eligible Entrant also:
- Agrees to display in their café, the Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year promotional material that will be supplied by the Promoter
- Consents to the creation of the profile page and to the Promoter’s publishing in all media the information included in the profile page to promote the Competition during and after the term of the Promotion if required by the Promoter.
- Consents to be listed on the Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year website, the promoter will list all 2017 finalists and winners. This will be added once all finalists/winners have been announced.
- Consents to the use of their personal information for the purposes of marketing by the sponsors of the promotion, unless they specifically opt out of such marketing when submitting their entries. Entrants may at any time request that sponsors cease sending marketing information by using the opt out functions provided in the marketing communications
6. After the receipt of an Eligible Entrant’s entry; Each Eligible Entrant will be sent a Competition participation pack that includes the following Competition promotional materials:
- Counter stand
- Window stickers
- Competition voting cards.
- A profile page for the Eligible Entrant’s nominated Café will be created on the Competition Website. That profile page will include: The Café name, address, phone number and website or Facebook landing page and the photo provided by the entry.
i. Consumer Voting
1. Each registered café will be allocated a unique code for the public to vote for them. This will be confirmed in the competition pack sent to the competing café.
2. Consumers can vote for their favourite café through the competition website www.nzcafeoftheyear.co.nz or by texting the unique café code, you will also be able to vote through the Meadow Fresh NZ Café of the Year facebook page.
3. Consumer voting will be confidential.
4. Consumer voting numbers will be used to communicate a café leaderboard (top ten cafes) for each of the competition regions. This will be communicated on the nzcafeoftheyear.co.nz website via email to competing cafes and on the NZ Café of the Year Facebook page and other social properties.
5. Consumer voting counts as part of your competition entry as part of your café total ranking/score.
6. The top café from the public voting for each region will be automatically shortlisted into the judging phase.
7. Consumer voting will determine the six Regional People’s Choice winners and the National People’s Choice winner. The regional winners are the café's with the highest number of votes in each of the competition regions. The national winner is the café with the highest amount of votes nationwide.
8. The consumer voting period will take place Between Monday 19th September (midday) and Monday 31 October 2016 (midnight) inclusive.
9. Should any café be found to be manipulating or benefiting from the manipulation of the public vote or tampering with the voting in any way, the Promoter reserves the right to disqualify them from the competition.
Café shortlisting and judging process
i. Selection of Shortlisted Cafés for judge’s visits
This year, as with last year, the competition will be judged on café merit. Cafés that make the shortlist will be selected by a team of industry experts. The competition judging process is broken into 3 key phases
a. Phase 1: Shortlisting
1. Our expert judging panel (EJP) will read through each entry and rate it based on the strength 'what makes you special' blurb on your entry form. The better the case you give us, the more likely you will be selected as a finalist. The judges will also take into consideration the cafe's ranking in the People's Choice vote as park of the cafe ranking
2. 3-4 cafes per category, per region are selected as our shortlist by the EJP
3. The list of 3-4 cafes per category, per region are sent to local judges for their feedback and will be asked the following questions:
- Do you know of this cafe?
- Have you visited it?
- Do you have any comments to make on the 'what makes you special' entry of the cafe
- Do you believe they fit the category entered?
- Are there other cafes who you believe have a stronger case?
Determining Regional Finalists
From the shortlist the regional finalists will be selected by the EJP based on:
- The strength of the 'what makes you special' case from the cafe's entry form
- Local expert feedback (as above)
- The ranking of the entrant using the People's Choice voting score
There will be 2 finalists per category per region that are our finalists - a total of 48 cafes.
b. Phase 2: Judging Regional Finalists
The regional finalist cafes will all be visited and assessed by a team of two judges who will each order a hot drink and a meal on site. They will be assessed using the judging sheet (click here to see the judging sheet). All assessments are forwarded onto the EJP for the Phase 3 of judging
c. Phase 3: Determining National Finalists
1. The assessments are collated according to region and category
2. Results are recorded on a spreadsheet and the highest scoring entry in each category is the Regional Category Winner
3. To this list of Regional Category Winners the National People's Choice winner is added
4. All of the cafes on this list are then visited again by a team of two judges from the EJP, one of these two will visit all the cafes.
5. The highest cafe from these assessments will be determined as the Meadow Fresh NZ Cafe of the Year.
ii. Judges can visit competing cafes ("Judges") without disclosure to the Café that they are Judges (a "Judging Visit").
iii. Regional winners, regional finalists and regional People’s Choice winners
1. The Regional winners, regional finalists and regional People’s Choice winners will be announced on 12 December 2016. This will be the winner and runner up cafe in each category in each region. The Regional people’s choice winners will also be revealed at this time.
2. The list of regional winners, regional finalists cafes as well as the People’s Choice regional winners will be published on the nzcafeoftheyear.co.nz website, and promoted through email and social media.
3. From the regional winners, the national category and Supreme winner’s will be chosen.
iv. Winning café’s
1. The Supreme Winner and National Category Winners will be announced at an awards evening held in Auckland in February 2017.
2. Judges will determine the winners from the final assessment, which will include 4 overall category winners: Tararua Best Metro/CBD, Hellmann's Best Suburban, Tuckers Ridge Pies Best Rural or Hellers Classic Kiwi as well as the Supreme winner of Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year 2017.
3. The Puhoi Valley People’s Choice winner will be determined by the number of public votes. The most public votes will identify who the winner is of the Puhoi Valley People’s Choice award.
4. Winners will be notified by email or phone prior to the event and invited to the Awards night.
5. Winners names will be displayed on the competition website and Meadow Fresh NZ Café of the Year email correspondence and on Meadow Fresh NZ Cafe of the Year social media channels.
6. The Supreme winner will also be featured in Dish magazine in an editorial feature. The Supreme winner and National category winners agree to be interviewed and photographed as part of this editorial feature and supplementary online articles on dish.co.nz
7. The Goodman Fielder & Unilever Food Solutions Award for Innovation is a special award for the most innovative Café in New Zealand. This award is presented to a single café that has demonstrated outstanding innovation during the period October 2015 to September 2016 across one or more of the categories below.
- Marketing innovation
- Food / menu development
- Interior design / construction
Entrants are asked to provide a written explanation of what their innovation is and how it has positively impacted on their businesses.
A shortlist of five (one from each region) will be selected based on the entries. The five finalists will be interviewed by phone to determine the ultimate winner.
Judges for this award will be a single representative from Goodman Fielder, Unilever Food Solutions and Tangible Media
v. Cafe winner Prizes
1. Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year 2017 - Supreme Winner Prize
This year our supreme winner will receive the following:
- The title of Meadow Fresh NZ Café of the Year 2017
- An editorial feature in Dish magazine
- National PR coverage
- A trip for two to Melbourne, Australia (including flights for two people, accommodation, airport transfers and spending money, up to the total value of $7,500)
- A two year subscription to Dish magazine
- A certificate and window stickers proclaiming their success.
2. Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year 2017 National category winner prizes
Each of the national category winners, and the national People’s Choice winner will receive the following:
- $250 cash prize
- A certificate and window stickers proclaiming their success
- Press coverage of your national category win
- Feature on the Meadow Fresh NZ Café of the Year website as our top cafes of New Zealand for 2017
- A one year subscription to Dish magazine.
3. Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year 2017 regional category winners, finalists and Regional People's choice prizes
Each of the regional category winners, finalists, and the regional People’s Choice winner will receive the following:
- A certificate and window stickers proclaiming their success
- Bragging rights that your café is one of the top in the country
- Regional finalist and winning cafes will all feature on the Meadow Fresh NZ Café of the Year website as our top cafes of New Zealand for 2017.
4. If a prize (or part of a prize) is unavailable for any reason, the Promoter will, in its absolute discretion, substitute alternative goods or services of no lesser retail value and/or specification. The Promoter accepts no other liability or responsibility for any loss incurred by a winner or any other party if a prize (or part of a prize) is unavailable for any reason
5. A right to receive a prize is not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as a monetary payment.
1. All entrants must ensure that their entries are received by the Promoter during the Entry Period. The Promoter takes no responsibility for late or misdirected entries or for any delays or failures in any delivery service or equipment.
2. The Promoter will not be responsible for any entries that are late, misdirected or lost and takes no responsibility for any entries not correctly lodged through the website or if the winner cannot be contacted due to incorrect contact details being recorded on the entry form.
3. Eligible Entrants are not licensed to use the intellectual property, image, name, brand or other property of the Promoter or the sponsors, Goodman Fielder, Unilever Food Solutions, Hellers NZ or the Restaurant Association of NZ, except as expressly provided for in this Agreement or otherwise in writing by the relevant party.
4. All entries to the Competition may be subject to verification and confirmation by the Promoters. An entrant MUST deliver to the Promoter (by a means determined by the Promoter) copies of any documents the Promoter may request establishing: (i) eligibility to enter or win; The Promoter may make one or more requests for such documents. Once the identity of documents available is established, an entrant must deliver requested copies within 7 days of being asked to do so. At the Promoter’s request, an entrant MUST also, within 7 days of being asked, allow the Promoter to inspect and copy the original of any such document.
5. The Promoter may, at its absolute discretion, declare an entrant’s entry to be invalid if the entrant: (i) fails to establish their entitlement to enter the Competition to the Promoters’ satisfaction; (ii) fails to produce items as required by condition 27 or produces items that, in the Promoter’s opinion, are illegible, stolen, forged, reconstructed, altered, incomplete or tampered with in any way; (iii) in the Promoter’s opinion, tampers with the entry process or benefits from such tampering; or (iv) in the Promoters’ opinion, submits an entry which is not in accordance with these conditions.
6. If for any reason the conduct or operation of the Competition is interfered with or disrupted in any way (including by vandalism, power failures, natural disasters, acts of God, civil unrest, strikes, computer bugs or viruses, tampering or technical failures), the Promoter reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend or recommence the Competition.
7. The Promoter assumes no responsibility for: (i) any error, omission, interruption, or delay in the operation or transmission of any communication sent to (or by) the Promoter or any entrant, (ii) any theft, destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of such communications; (iii) any problem with, or technical malfunction of, any computer system or other equipment used for the conduct of the Competition; (iv) any incorrect or incomplete information which may be communicated in the course of the administering of this Competition (whether as a result of one of the foregoing causes or otherwise).
8. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO CAUSE DAMAGE TO ANY WEBSITE OR THE INFORMATION ON ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PROMOTION OR TO OTHERWISE UNDERMINE THE FAIR AND LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS COMPETITION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. THE PROMOTER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE EVENT THAT ANY SUCH ATTEMPT IS MADE, WHETHER OR NOT THAT ATTEMPT RESULTS IN ANY SUCH DAMAGE, INTERFERENCE OR UNDERMINING.
9. All of the Promoter’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- To the full extent permitted by law, the Promoter, its associated companies and agencies and any of their personnel (the "Relevant Parties"), Goodman Fielder, Unilever Food Solutions, Hellers NZ, ICG, The Restaurant Association and their directors and employees, exclude all liability for any loss (including any damage, claim, injury, cost or expense) which is suffered or incurred by any Eligible Entrant in connection with the Competition or Prize, including: (i) any indirect, economic or consequential loss; (ii) any loss arising from the negligence of a Relevant Party; (iii) any liability for personal injury or death.
- The winners consent to the Promoter (including their PR company) using their name, likeness, image, any images or information submitted on the Competition Website and/or voice (including any photograph, film and/or recording of them) in any media at any time or times without remuneration for the purpose of promoting this Competition, the Promoters and/or any of the Promoters’ products. The Promoter may use such items during and after the term of the Promotion and for any purpose. The winner consents to ICG, Goodman Fielder, Unilever Food Solutions, Hellers NZ and the Restaurant Association of New Zealand using their name and image on their respective company sites and Facebook pages for the duration of the Promotion and 6 months following the Promotions for the advertising and marketing purposes.
- Entrants' personal information will be collected by or on behalf of the Promoter to enable it to administer the Competition and publicise its winners and, if an entrant consents, may be shared with or to market sponsors products to the entrant. The personal information of each winner may be provided to others assisting in the conduct of the Competition, including the Competition administrator, prize suppliers and deliverers. Persons may contact the Promoter at the address in condition 1 to request access to, or corrections of, any of their collected personal information that is held by the Promoter. If an entrant does not provide accurate personal information or fails to respond to communications from the Promoter within 14 days, the Promoter may determine that they are not eligible to win a prize.
- Goodman Fielder, Unilever Food Solutions, Hellers NZ and the Restaurant Association of New Zealand sponsor this Promotion but take no part in organising or conducting this Promotion, or allocating the Prizes.
- The Promoter reserves the right to alter or edit the Terms and Conditions if required due to unforeseen circumstances.
NZ Café of the Year 2017 consumer voting
1. Information on how to enter and prizes form part of the Terms and Conditions of Entry. Entry into Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year Consumer Voting competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
2. To the extent of any inconsistency between these Terms and Conditions and any other reference to this competition, these Terms and Conditions prevail.
3. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. Facebook membership and the use of Facebook generally are subject to the Facebook prevailing terms and conditions of use available at www.facebook.com. Entrants understand that they are providing their information to the Promoter and not to Facebook. Entrants are solely responsible and liable for the content of their entries and any other information they transmit to other internet users via Facebook. To the extent permitted by law, each entrant agrees to indemnify, defend and forever hold harmless, Facebook and its associated agencies and companies, against any and all losses, actions, claims, costs, expenses and damages (of any nature) which may be incurred by an entrant in respect of the entrant’s participation in the promotion. Any questions, comments or complaints about this promotion must be directed to the Promoter and not to Facebook.
4. The Promoter is Image Centre Limited of 19 Lyon Ave, St Lukes, Auckland, New Zealand.
ii. Eligible voters
- Subject to clause 1 and 2 below, entry is open to all residents of New Zealand, who have fulfilled the requirements set out below ('Eligible Entrants').
- Any entrant who is under the age of 18, as of the date of entry, must obtain the prior permission of their legal parent or guardian over the age of 18 to enter. The parent or guardian may be called to verify their consent and may be required to sign a release at the discretion of the Promoter. The release may also require the entrant’s parent or guardian to accept responsibility for the acts and forbearances of the entrant. The release must be completed with the full name, address and telephone number of the entrant’s parent or guardian. Failure to provide such proof, particulars or releases will immediately invalidate the entrant’s entitlement to any prize.
- Staff members, employees, owners and family of competing cafés are permitted to vote but can only vote once per café per voting method.
- Entrants may enter this competition during the Promotional Period (defined below) by voting for one of the cafés who are listed as finalists in the 2017 Meadow Fresh NZ Café of the Year competition conducted by the Promoter. An Eligible Entrant may lodge a vote by one of the following methods:
- Submitting their vote online at www.nzcaféoftheyear.co.nz. Entrants must follow the instructions on the website and provide all requested contact details;
- Submitting their vote on the Facebook page www.facebook.com/nzcaféoftheyear. Entrants must follow the instructions on the Facebook page and provide all requested contact details;
- Submitting their vote by SMS. Entrants must include the correct café code (found on café point of sale and on the competition website). Standard text rates apply to TXT messages.
iii. Entries must include all requested contact details, including a valid vote and email address, to be eligible to win. Incomplete entries will be deemed invalid.
- Entrants consent to the use of their personal information for the purposes of marketing by the sponsors of the promotion, unless they specifically opt out of such marketing when submitting their entries. Entrants may at any time request that sponsors cease sending marketing information by using the opt out functions provided in the marketing communications.
- One entry into this competition will be recorded for each vote submitted.
- Voting is limited to one vote per café per voting method.
iv. Open, Close, Draw and Publish dates
1. The People’s Choice competition commences 19/09/16 at 12:00 (midday) and closes 31/10/16 at midnight ('Promotional Period'). Entries must be received by the Promoter prior to the competition close date and time.
2. There will be five consumer voting prizes drawn every week during the voting period for the consumer prizes. The voting period commences 19/09/16 at 12:00 (midday) and closes 31/10/16 at midnight.
3. The winners will be the first valid entries drawn at random at the premises of Image Centre Ltd, 19 Lyon Ave, St Lukes, Auckland.
4. The winners will be notified by txt or email within two business days of each draw. Their names will also be published on www.nzcaféoftheyear.co.nz and the Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year Facebook page.
5. The Promoter may conduct further draws in order to distribute any prizes unclaimed within 28 days of the announcement. Winners of any further draws will be notified by txt or email (depending on method of voting) within two business days of the draw. Their names will also be published on www.nzcaféoftheyear.co.nz and the Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year Facebook page.
6. Prize on offer
- The prize on offer for voters is one of five brunches per week (for a total of six weeks during the voting period) to the Meadow Fresh NZ Café of the Year entrant you voted for to the value of $50 each. The voting period commences 19/09/16 at 12:00 (midday) and closes 31/10/16 at midnight.
- The winners will be sent a Prezzy card to the value of $50 to be spent at the café of their choice. Meadow Fresh New Zealand Café of the Year is compliant with all Prezzy Card Terms and Conditions. These can be found here - www.prezzycard.co.nz/documents/prezzy-card/prezzy-card-terms-and-conditions-from-april-21-2015.pdf. Winners will be notified by TXT message or email. Prizes will be distributed via courier and will arrive deactivated. It is the responsibility of the prize winner to activate the card with 4-digit-pin supplied to them on selection of winning prize
7. The winners must reply to competition messages to redeem the prize before 1st Dec 2016.
Further Terms and Conditions
- Any entrant found to be entering incorrect contact details, including incorrect email contact details, will have all entries invalidated and any claim to any prize will be invalidated. If such an entrant is awarded a prize and then found to have breached this clause, the entrant must immediately return any prize awarded. The Promoter has sole discretion to determine if this clause has been breached by any entrant. The Promoter reserves the right to request whatever documentation it deems necessary to confirm if the entrant has breached this clause. An entrant must provide any requested documentation to the Promoter upon request.
- The Promoter reserves the right to conduct a redraw in the event that an entrant, claiming to be a winner, is unable to satisfy these Terms and Conditions or has breached these Terms and Conditions.
- In participating in the prizes, the winners agree to participate and co-operate as required in all editorial activities relating to the Competition, including but not limited to being interviewed and photographed. The winners (and their companions) agree to granting the Promoter a perpetual and non-exclusive license to use such footage and photographs in all media worldwide, including online social networking sites, and the winners (and their companions) will not be entitled to any fee for such use.